Monday, July 14, 2008

LadyB - Pioneer of hip-hop

On my second assignment for The Las Vegas WORD magazine I was sent out yesterday to capture the raw "in the life of" perspective of LadyB. Those that recall, back in the day she was the first woman MC in the hip hop industry with "To the Beat Yall" . . .She also was the first DJ in America to play hip-hop on the radio. She took a huge risk on getting fired back then when working for Power 99FM, but instead she made history.

These days LadyB has two radio shows.
Locally on 107.9 every weekday evening:
http://www.1079wrnb.com/showdj.asp?DJID=39314

as well as every weekday morning on Siruis Radio's Backspin channel:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=Channel&cid=1104779639871&s=person

We had a great time on the shoot. She had me laughing the entire time. Her crazy stories captivated me. Talking about hanging out with her close friend Will Smith, and recent visits to Dj Jazzy Jeff's new house (which is in Delaware) made my mouth drop. It was truly an honor to work with such an accomplished artist who is also one of the most grounded and real person I have ever met.

Keep an eye out on the upcoming issue of the Las Vegas WORD for my images supporting the profile of LadyB!

No comments: