Monday, July 14, 2008

Remembering a local Photography and DJ Icon

This past week I received two assignments from a magazine in Las Vegas called The Las Vegas WORD.

The first assignment was a private event to pay tribute to the life and passing of a local Philadelphia icon, Mpozi. He was a nationally known photographer working for several organizations in Philadelphia including the City Paper and the Associated Press. Later in his career he relocated to Indianapolis to work for the Indianapolis Star. He passed away two years ago while editing photos in the news room. There were several private tribute events going on around the country, and I was there to cover the event in his hometown. Mpozi was also an accomplished DJ and between the two careers he had impacted many lives around him

The event I covered was almost a who's who of Philadelphia hip-hop scene. Questlove of the Roots, SchoolyD, King Britt, and many others were present to pay their respects. The Indianapolis Star ran one of my photos of Questlove spinning at the event (while they didn't pick the best image in my opinion, I was honored that they ran my work) You can see the online pic here: http://www.indy.com/posts/9767

No comments: